Wednesday, September 1, 2010

teriyaki chicken

I grew up H-A-T-I-N-G.... chinese food.. My parents would get chinese take out, and on the way home they would swing through mickey D's to grab me something else. Well who would've thought that I would marry an asian man?? I remember when I first met him, i wouldn't even eat rice lol.. Things changed  after 5 yrs of marriage and 7 yrs of being together. Now  I recreate asian dishes. Its quite entertaining actually.

One of my favorite dishes is teriyaki chicken. I buy a teriyaki sauce from china town. The brand is Kikkoman but its kinda pricey. Like 4 bucks a bottle. So i decided to start making my own sauce. And WOW is it yummy!

Teriyaki Sauce

1 tbsp cornstarch
1 tbsp cold water

1/2 c sugar
1/2 c soy sauce (low sodium is best!)
1/4 c cider vinegar
1 clove garlic minced
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp black pepper

Combine sugar, soy sauce, vinegar, garlic, ginger, pepper in a saucepan. Boil for a minute or so. Watch so it doesnt boil over. Stir cornstarch and water and slowly pour into sauce pan. Heat sauce until bubbly. Remove from heat and set aside.


Chicken thighs are best! Boneless skinless works well. If not use chicken breast. Slice into small chunks, saute until done. Add teriyaki sauce and stir well. Heat for a minute or two until the sauce thickens and coats the chicken.

Pour mixture over white or brown rice. Its super sweet and YUMMMMMO!


simmering the liquids...


favorite soy sauce!

all done~!


cooking it together

ready for consumption! lol My son ate almost everything in this bowl! kids love it~!

No comments:

Post a Comment