Sunday, July 4, 2010

Day 2 of no spend July! $23.75

I know i am a few days late on this post! Its been quite busy here. Party after party after party!

My second day of no spending I did pretty good. I finished up the shopping for the party. It was a Taco theme. I headed down to the mexican store and picked up tomatillos, bistek, chorizo, limes, tortillas, chile de arbol, cilantro and a few cookies for the kid.

I spent $23.75.

I needed a few other things for the party, but my mother decided to bring those items.

I made homemade Guacamole for the first time EVER! It turned out really good! The picture looks really dark for some reason but i can assure you the guac wasnt this dark!


Before turning on the food processor
\


 
After chopping for a few minutes


And of course the recipe


Guacamole

2 avocados (original recipe says1, but we like 2!)
1 slice white onion
fresh cilantro (about a handful)
kosher salt
juice from 1/2 a lemon
1 roma tomato (take the seeds out!)


Blend avocado, onion, cilantro, salt, lemon juice, and half of the Roma tomato in a food processor until mixture is fairly smooth. Remove guacamole from food processor and mix in other half of chopped Roma tomato.

(found this on erikaraymakes.blogspot.com)


And of course I made jello shots.. Its my specialty!
I was telling someone i really dont remember what jello tastes like without alcohol anymore lol


I made a blackberry cobbler. I had tons of blackberries in my fridge and decided to use them up!

I used refrigerated pie crust that you buy at the store. Cut it into strips and lattice'd it over top!
I of course sprinkled sugar all over it! YUMM!
And i decided to make Pork for carnitas. This was the first time i ever made it. We used to eat at Don Pablos when it was still open near us, and we ALWAYS had the carnitas. I wouldnt say this is AS good as don pablos, but it will due for now!

I didnt get a picture of it. But here is the recipe
Carnitas Recipe

5 lbs. Pork Shoulder – cut into pieces
1 Medium Onion – cut into chunks
2 Limes – quartered
1 Jalepino – sliced
4 Ancho chilies – sliced, seeds and tops removed
3/4 T salt
2 T cumin

 
Preheat your oven to 300°. Place all of the meat into a large dutch oven. If you don’t have a dutch oven, use your heaviest oven-proof pad with a lid
Get all of your other ingredients chopped, sliced and so forth
Add your vegetables and spices to the meat and give it all a good stir to mix things. Don’t worry if it’s not perfectly mixed, it will all work itself out during it’s time in the oven.

 Put the lid on and cook in the 300° oven for 4 hours. Stir everything about every hour or so. Yeah, that’s right, 4 hours. After about an hour in the oven the fat will begin to melt out of the pork and all of the vegetables will give up their water, essentially creating a braising liquid for the meat. I told you this was easy, that meat is just about cooking itself.
Take the meat out of the oven and let it rest for 20 minutes with the lid on. That dutch oven is blazing hot and you don’t want anything to do with it right now.
Using a slotted spoon, remove all of the meat to a bowl. You can discard any of the miscellaneous peppers or limes you may find along the way. You should now be left with quite a bit of liquid in your pot.

On the original recipe at http://www.eatingcleveland.com/2010/02/23/carnitas-recipe-easy-oven-method/ it tells you to save the grease and reheat it the next day to pour over. But to me, pork has enough grease and fat that it doesnt need this. I did not follow that step, therefore i didnt add it to this recipe. I did pull the pork after it was cool and i discarded all of the fatty pieces because lets face it, we have enough fat in our diets as it is!

On saturday morning i pulled this out of the fridge and squeezed 2 limes over it and heated in the microwave. It was a little bit greasy but not bad, we put it in between a flour tortilla. YuM!

Day 2 wasnt bad! So far we are still doing well.

No comments:

Post a Comment