Friday, July 16, 2010

Day 15 - $0 Steamed Chocolate Cake!

I decided to make a cake for my friend Sarah. She just had a little  baby boy. He is precious! But i wanted to make them something special. Not just a regular cake! I found a recipe on another blog that i stumbled upon. It was a Steamed chocolate cake. When i first read the recipe it was in grams so i was kinda bummed. I absolutely HATE converting recipes. But it was totally worth it!

The recipe tells you to steam the cake in a steamer. I started thinking of different ways to steam it. In my rice cooker, my double boiler steamer, or in a pan of water in the oven. I ended up using the double boiler method.  The only part that was tough, was getting the cake pan out of the double boilers top basket. It kinda stuck. So i will work on a different way to steam this cake. I would LOVE to make it with my rice cooker. So i will get back to you about the progress..

Here is the recipe....

Printer Friendly Version

Steamed Chocolate Moist Cake (adapted from Cooking Crave with slight modification)

1.5 sticks butter (or 3/4 c)
3/4 c. caster sugar*
3/4 c. plus 1 Tbsp and 1 tsp evaporated milk
2 eggs
1 cup cake flour **
1/2 c cocoa powder
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp vanilla extract


1.Combine caster sugar, evaporated milk, vanilla extract and butter in a saucepan.
2.Stir over low heat until sugar is dissolved and butter is melted, turn off the fire and keep warm.
3.Add the beaten eggs into the slightly cold evaporated milk mixture and stir till well mix.
4.Sift the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and baking soda into a large mixing bowl, then pour the eggs mixture over the flour and stir till well mix (cake batter should be runny)
5.Heat up the steamer.
6.Lined or grease a rectangular pan or a 8 inch round baking pan.
7.Pour the batter into the lined pan and place the pan into the steamer and cover the top of the pan loosely with a piece of aluminium foil.
8.Cover the steamer and steam over medium heat for 45 mins.
9.Cool the cake in pan before turning out for further decoration.


* Caster sugar is superfine sugar. Take granulated sugar and put it in a coffee grinder. Grind until it turns into powder

** Cake flour is my flour of choice. It works much nicer when making cakes. Unbleached flour is fine if you dont have cake flour.







this is what the cake should look like when done.


I trimmed off a piece from the top to check it out...
Do you see the bubbles that formed? The steam pockets?
I think its pretty cool!


This cake is not the thick cake that you might be used to. Instead is soft and fluffy and very airey.
I made a quick cream cheese frosting. With cream cheese, powdered sugar and vanilla to top the cake.
I didn't have time to drop the it off yet. So I'm thinking about eating it and making another one for them lol.

No comments:

Post a Comment