Monday, June 28, 2010

Join me in No-Spend July!!!

Well this is my first post! Yay im a BLOGGER!
A friend showed me a site called stumbleupon.com It truly is my new obsession. I can sit for hours stumbling from site to site! I found a site called smallnotebook.org and then have a no spend challenge. It intrigued me! I told my husband in July we will try to have a no spend month.
The details of No spend month are:
Details:
a total budget of $250 to spend on anything we would buy for ourselves this month.

Included:

•Groceries & eating out
•Gas
•Clothing
•Household items
•Entertainment

Not included:

•Rent, insurance, and bills
•Health expenses
•Work expenses
•Savings and investments
•Tithes and gifts

On the website the Blogger started with gas in her car and the weeks groceries that she bought. The whole point is to use up what you have and to realize that spending money is not a necessity.

There are alot of good tips on how to start. At the beginning try not to spend any money for as long as you can. Just use up what you have.
July 1st is approaching quickly. And the more i think about it, the more i feel like i need to prepare for this no spend month. Its gonna be a tough one for us. We have 4 birthdays this month, 1 july 4th party that we are throwing, a good friends birthday we will go out for dinner, and this is a long month!!!

I am more then ready. I feel like $250 for a spending budget will be plenty! So i am going to make this challenge harder. We will cut back on doing other things and commit more time to unfinished projects. Jerry will LOVE the Honey Do list this month. We have a extra bathroom that has no running water in the shower because of a burst pipe from 2 winters ago! So that will be the start to my husbands list. Yes we know we will have to buy supplies but that will be minimal.

I have a TON of sewing to do just to finish the projects that i started and havent had time to do. I would love to DE-clutter our home. With that in mind, im thinking about having a garage sale towards the end of this month. That way we can get all the old out before the end of the month. And that can help pay off more bills! I would be so happy to be debt free... (student loans are killing me!)

I would love for other people to join me with the no spend month. I think it will be a real eye opener on how much you buy that you dont really need! My husband and i dont go out much due to the lack of a babysitter... Jerry does spend money on going out to eat with co workers.. so this month he might have a tough time with this one.. The only necessities we need to spend on is... Gas for his car, milk for the kids, fresh veggies and possibly diapers... Lets start off July on a good foot!

3 comments:

  1. Chrystal, this is a brilliant idea! I will have to check out the site. I anticipate with having a new little one that I won't be out much in July anyway, hehehehe! But we will have a slu of guests in the beginning of the month which I am trying to plan meals and snacks accordingly so we don't do take out! Great suggestion and great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks sarah! We dont go out much as it is, but we do buy un necessary things at the store when we go. And jerry eats out if i dont pack him a lunch.. It will be a challenge but totally worth it! I cant wait to meet the little one!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very Nice Chrysal! I will be looking forward to your updates to see how you are doing..

    Good luck

    ReplyDelete