Monday, June 28, 2010

My obsession with researching Organic food....

I have been researching Organic food for awhile now. The things i learned have been amazing. Today i was reading one blog which led me to another which led me to a link....Its called: Getting Real about the High Price of Cheap Food...
Its definately a MUST read for everyone who wants to know what they are eating.. When i was in Culinary school i did a paper on steroids and hormones in food. This was 7 years ago or so, and back at that time Organic food wasnt big yet. I remember doing the research on the effects on children and i was amazed. I told myself at that time i would do everything i could to figure out what is best for my children. That is when i really decided i wanted a Food Science degree..... if i can ever get Jerry to move to Indiana so i can go to Purdue, or back to SC so i could go to Clemson, i will definately go back to school to get my masters...
Ok i got off the subject.... so as i was looking through blogs i found this list of things your kids shouldnt eat. Here it is.


What Not to Eat
1.Kid Cuisine All Star Chicken Breast Nuggets
2.Pepperidge Farm Goldfish Crackers
3.Kudos Chocolate Chip Granola Bars
4.Betty Crocker Fruit By The Foot
5.Campbell Soup Cars Souper Shapes Condensed Soup
6.Kraft Scooby-Doo! Macaroni & Cheese Dinner
7.Oscar Mayer Lunchables Mini Tacos
8.Sunny Delight9.Earth's Best Organic Mini Waffles


I have to admit my kids eat Goldfish crackers. But not everyday. I think i might have to cut those out all together. The sodium is so high it should be banned!

I am still unsure about organic milk. Only because of the price. My kids go through close to 3 gallons a week between the two of them. And if i am buying organic that is a little less then 3 dollars more per gallon... So we are talking close to 40 dollars more a month on just milk!
Until my kids are drinking less milk i plan on buying regular 2% milk.
I did switch our meat over though. When i buy chicken i am buying Gerbers brand.


Gerber's chicken is alot smaller which makes you understand the difference between the supermarket chicken that is HUGE and the all natural grass fed chicken's breasts. When i buy chicken at a big store like Sams one chicken breast can feed 2 people. Gerbers chicken one person per breast is plenty.

I buy it at heinens. Today when i was there i bought chicken thighs for 1.19/lb and when i buy thighs for jerry that arent all natural no hormone etc.. i pay 99cents a pound. So its not really that big of a difference. I bought a whole chicken for 99 cents a pound as well. And that was pretty good i thought. I was at sams club tonight and saw their chicken was 78 cents a pound but it is tyson brand and im iffy about tyson chicken. I SAW there farms and chicken processing establishment and it changed my mind about buying their product.

Im planning on going to Gerber's farm and store to buy the product straight from there. But if i dont make it before the 1st i cant go until august lol.

Remember No Spending July starts in 3 days!!

2 comments:

  1. You can get organic milk at BJ's for 2.99 a half gallon. Not sure how that compares for you. I did read recently (no idea where) that milk from Walmart is completely hormone and antibiotic free. I was buying our milk there but I don't go often enough to walmart so I switched to organic from BJ's. Besides I love the taste of organic milk over regular milk (yes I can taste the difference).
    Also, I have found recently that I can get more natural meats at GE and they are comparable if not sometimes cheaper than the regular stuff. I do GE a lot since its around the corner, so it's just easier than Heinens for me. I do make special trips to Heinens about every two weeks though.
    So why are goldfish bad? Because of the sodium or something else?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I noticed sams club has organic milk for 2.99 a half gallon. Alot of stores have the hormone antibiotic free milk. I saw it at Giant eagle, walmart and even aldis! Most milk is now days. I dont drink milk very often so i wouldnt notice the difference. If the kids drank less milk i would definately buy organic. We spend so much money on milk!

    Heinens has gerbers chicken on sale this week. I need to stock up before my no spend month lol.
    Goldfish are bad because of the sodium content. There is so much sodium in other foods that the kids eat, i dont think they should be getting 10% of their total sodium intake per day on crackers. The serving size is 55 crackers. I dont think our kids eat that many in a serving. But still, i can find healthier things for my kids to eat then store bought processed snacks!

    ReplyDelete