Friday, July 16, 2010

Crockpot Chicken

A year ago or so, i came across an amazing crockpot chicken recipe. This is my absolute favorite chicken. It beats rotisserie chicken. And its a lot cheaper! I buy organic chicken and the whole chickens were 99 cents a pound. This chicken cost 3.28 for the whole chicken. So dinner was less then 4 dollars that night for all 4 of us!

First, take the chicken out of the bag. Rinse it with water. Pat the chicken dry and rub seasonings on top of the breast side. I like the garlic and herb mix that i buy.

Ball up 4 large pieces of aluminum foil. Set them in the bottom of the crockpot. The chicken will be set on top of these balls of aluminum foil. Try to make sure the chicken is elevated.

Please don't look at how stained my crock pot is.... I promise i whitened it after i was done cooking!

The chicken cooked completely. Sooo Juicy!

It took two pairs of tongs to get it out of the crockpot. It literally just fell apart.

The chicken breast on the left, and thigh/leg sections on the right.

Do you see how easily the breasts were seperated? A quick slide with the knife and it came right off the bone.


This is what is left over after cooking. Some people would throw this out. I make chicken stock! Add the bones and carcass back into the "juices"

 I dont have a picture but after i added the bones back in, i added carrots and celery. Then i filled it to the top with water. Cooked it on low for about 4 hours.
Its well worth it. I NEVER buy chicken stock/broth from the store. I save the bones from meats that we eat and freeze them until i have enough. The same with carrots, celery, herbs, and garlic. From this crock pot full of bones and veggies, I was able to make about 1 gallon of stock! I then split it into containers and after it cooled, i skimmed off the fat and froze the containers. That will last me about a month. And then i will make another chicken and do it again!
                          

No comments:

Post a Comment