Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Day 21 Banana Bread recipe, Butter recipe

Nights are the busiest time for me. We have dinner, bath time, play time, bed time, and then after the kids go to bed I clean a little and find the extra time to bake. Last night I just took it easy and made pepperoni rolls. Super simple! Tonight I am making another Pepperoni Roll, Peanut Butter Rice Krispies, and banana Bread. My mom is going to Florida tomorrow to visit my sister so I thought I would be nice and send some goodies with her!

Printer Friendly Version

Banana Bread Recipe

3-4 Over Ripe bananas
1 1/4 cups Sugar
1/2 cup butter - unsalted and melted
2 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 cup flour
1/2 tsp Salt
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
OPTIONAL
1/2 cup walnuts

Preheat oven 350 degrees, butter a 9x5 loaf pan.
Put bananas, sugar and egg into a mixer. Whip until smooth about 3 minutes
Add butter and vanilla.
Scrape the sides of the bowl. Add flour, salt, baking soda and nuts. Mix until moistened.
Pour batter into pan and bake until golden brown. About 45 minutes.

I like to rub butter on top right before the bread is done and put cinnamon, sugar and nutmeg on top and bake it until the bread is fully cooked in the middle.






Banana bread is simple. Anyone can make it. Almost any ingredients can be added. Zucchini, raisins, chocolate chips, cocoa powder, poppy seeds... etc.

I was looking through a cookbook earlier today while my kids were napping and I came across recipes for Butter spreads.. I couldn't believe that they needed a whole section on butter. This brought me back to my culinary school days. We made TONS of butter. Before every dinner service we had to make butter to go with the rolls. It sucked. It was the suckiest job in the whole kitchen. Other than the mixer was in a different room and you could screw around by walking the halls or chatting with people.. I know I'm a slacker. Some of my favorite butter days were when my best friend and I got to make it together. It was fun. She always made up songs about ingredients. It helped us remember things for our big tests! Anyways.. she was the maid of honor in my wedding and I have some really great memories.

I decided to pass on Butter recipes to all my followers.... yeah that's you! lol

Printer Friendly Version - All Butter Recipes

Honey Butter
1/2 cup unsalted butter at room temperature
3 tablespoons Honey
1/4 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
Beat all of this together in a mixer. Then mold into either a log with parchment paper, or just a mound

Apricot Butter
1/2 cup unsalted butter
2 teaspoons apricot jam

Cinnamon Sugar Butter
1/2 cup unsalted butter
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 tablespoons light brown sugar


Herb Butter
1/2 cup unsalted butter
2 tablespoons herbs (parsley, oregano, rosemary, etc)

Garlic Butter
1/2 cup unsalted butter
2 tablespoons chopped garlic
1 teaspoon garlic powder


These butters can be used in recipes, on wings, on garlic bread, toast, English muffins, really whatever you want!
My favorite recipe for butter came from a restaurant I worked at while in high school. We used this Hot Wing butter that we made. It rocked!

1/2 cup unsalted butter
2 teaspoons Hot sauce *red hot*
2 teaspoons Tabasco


*another culinary school story*
While in school, we sometimes would make multi flavored butter logs. So we would mold it all together in one log but in different sections. That way the diners didn't have to have just garlic butter, or just honey butter. My only suggestion from experience is..... DON'T PUT THE GARLIC BUTTER next to the HONEY BUTTER ... Put the sweet butters next to each other and put the garlic butter on one end with a hunk of regular non flavored butter in the middle.  I made the mistake of putting a Hot Butter next to a Apricot butter and got my butt chewed out by one of the chefs.. so refrain from doing that!

2 comments:

  1. The banana bread is absolutely amazing. I was baked a loaf of this banana bread and it was delivered all the way down to Florida. Thanks for the great recipe, as well as the finished product. It is delicious. Thanks!!!!

    ReplyDelete