Monday, July 19, 2010

Day 18 - $0 Chocolate Beer Cake

Because I never made it over to my friend Sarah's house to drop off the Steamed Chocolate Cake, I decided to make a Chocolate Beer Cake for her.
It was super simple other than I didnt have all the ingredients. I had to improvise. I ran out of sour cream, so I used unflavored Yogurt. The end result was AMAZING. It was Super moist, chocolatey and it really had an amazing smell to it.
My husband and I are NOT beer drinkers, but we buy it for parties. For some reason when people come to our parties they prefer to drink "Happy Juice" rather than beer. The beer is usually never touched and we are stuck with it at the end of the party. I sometimes wish they would leave jello shots for us instead lol.

Of course the recipe I found needed to be converted from Grams to cups. No biggie.. I found the PERFECT site for converting recipes.... check it out if you ever need to convert recipies
Conversion Calculator!
I will be nice and post the converted recipe for you.




                                            (the cake wasnt done yet, But the cupcakes were!!!)


Printer Friendly Version

Chocolate Beer Cake

YOU WILL NEED
2  8 inch round cake pans 
1 cup beer
2 sticks Butter
3/4 cup Cocoa Powder
2 1/8 cup Pastry Flour
2 cups sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
3/4 teaspoon salt
2 large eggs
2/3 cup sour cream (or plain un flavored yogurt)



DIRECTIONS

Preheat oven to 350 Grease your cake/muffin tin well.
Simmer the beer and butter in a medium sized pan over medium heat, then whisk cocoa powder through until fully combined.
In a large bowl, sift the flour, sugar, baking soda and salt together and stir to combine.
In a medium bowl, hand-beat the eggs and sour cream, then stir the warm chocolate mix in.
Make a well in the dry ingredients and gently hand-fold in the wet mix with a rubber spatula until combine.
Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for about 15 minutes for cupcakes or 20-25 minutes for cake, or until the cake comes away from the sides of the pan and a skewer comes out clean.
Leave the cakes to completely cool before trying to remove from the pan. Dust with icing sugar to finish.

Keeps very well in an airtight container for at least three days. Don’t microwave the cake to reheat it, as the beer flavour becomes much more pronounced and it will taste a bit funk

No comments:

Post a Comment