Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Day 6 - $16.00

I'm a day late at posting this.. Things here have been hectic!
I have been waiting for Gerber's chicken to go on sale. And yesterday was the last day of the sale. Chicken breast were around $3/lb and thighs, drumsticks and whole chickens were 99cents/lb
So I went.. We have no chicken breast left. And now that I'm trying to buy organic i decided to just put it to the side of my freezer and eat it slowly lol.
I want to do a comparison of Gerber's Chicken to Store bought chicken. Like the Sam's club chicken breast. But i don't want to buy it.. so my comparison will have to wait. Unless someone i know will let me come over to take pics of their chicken breasts lol. Sounds weird huh?

We have been trying to take advantage of all the free stuff to do around us! I am borrowing TONS of cookbooks and other stuff from the library. I borrowed all of the Eat this Not that books. I highly recommend everyone to look at these books. Their is alot of pictures.. not much reading. But it will amaze you.. Here is an example...
 Rather then eating Hellman's real mayo.. (we buy that) replace it will Hellman's Canola Cholesterol Free Mayo. Here is the break down

Hellman's Real mayo    90 cal     10 g fat (1.5g sat fat)        90 mg sodium
Hellman's Canola Mayo         45 cal       4.5 g fat (0g sat fat)         90 mg sodium

You cut the calories just by replacing with canola oil! GREAT!!
In the book it also says... By replacing the standard soybean oil with canola, Hellman's cuts out the bad fat and replaces it with 2.5 g of cholesterol lowering monounsaturated fat!
I plan on buying this!
Another example:
At Chik Fil A a
 Char grilled Chicken Sandwich is      270 cal,  3.5g fat (1g sat) 940 mg sodium
Chicken Caesar cool wrap             480 cal, 16 g fat (6g sat) 1640 mg sodium!
WOW the sodium is unreal!!!
The problem with the wrap is that the flat bread and Caesar dressing have tons of calories!
Also if you order chicken soup rather then fries you can save 210 calories!

I used to eat the Chicken sandwich.. you know the pressure fried one? LOVE IT! But when i started to look at what i eat on a daily basis i realized how bad that sandwich is.. So i compared it..

Chicken sandwich: 420 calories, 16 g fat (3.5 sat fat) 1,300 mg sodium
Char grilled sandwich: 270 cal, 3.5 g fat (1g sat), 940 mg sodium!

Just by switching out the deep fried oily flavor for a healthy grilled on you save tons of far and calories! The sodium still bothers me.
My normal meal now at Chik Fil A is a char grilled sandwich, side salad and a sweet tea. I know the tea has tons of sugar but I LOVE IT! But i bypass the fries and soup. I like the soup but the sodium is super high in it.

You guys really should check this book out! I wouldn't buy it, but its definitely worth borrowing from your library!

It was a million degrees outside yesterday so i figured i would stay cool by staying inside... Then i got this great idea to make a few meals to freeze... not such a great idea.. I made lasagna and it heated my kitchen up quickly. It almost defeated the purpose of the air conditioner.


I wrapped the lasagna up and stuck it in the freezer for one of those nights i don't feel like cooking!
I made the spaghetti sauce from scratch because i had tomatoes that needed used up. And the hamburger meat was left over from our party from the weekend. I felt great about not throwing it away.

And then i figured i would make an orzo salad for dinner. I cooked orzo, added a little olive oil, salt, pepper, olives, tomatoes and it was done! If i would've had chicken cooked i would throw it in there!


I made chicken patty sandwiches for dinner to go with the orzo. It was a good combo for the kids and I while my husband played basketball.

Last night as i was contemplating writing this entry, i started thinking about some of my past posts... And i figure i should make it known.... I am not a photographer, nor am i a writer.. So excuse me if i get off the topic or decide to ramble on about something. This is my outlet and i take advantage of it! I'm working on the picture situation and trying to figure out how to take the best pics of my food. If anyone has tips please let me know!

2 comments:

  1. Who care if you aren't a writer or a photographer? I love that you mentioned you're going to the library, I simply love the library.

    =) Katie B

    ReplyDelete
  2. First off... what the heck are you doing up at 4:19am? second.. i have only been to the new library 2 times since it opened lol. I use the drive through window. I call and they hold books at the window and i pick them up. Its GREAT! I feel like the pics i take arent of the best quality.. im trying to figure it out though!

    ReplyDelete