Friday, July 9, 2010

Day 9 - $25

Today's food of the day is...................
Burger King's BK Big Fish sandwich and fries..
1000 calories, 52 g fat, 10.5 g saturated fat, 2040 mg sodium
Instead eat
Whopper JR without Mayo and Garden Salad
365 calories, 12 g fat, 4.5 f saturated fat, 1230 mg sodium
17 grams of fat you can save by replacing the Mayo on a whopper with barbecue sauce.

The sodium in fast food is unreal!

Tonight we visited an Asian supermarket.  (spent $25 of veggies and dumplings) We make a trip to the store a few times a month. And i find it quite entertaining. Things are constantly misspelled and it makes me laugh. Tonight i came across a turtle they were selling.
the sign is a bit blurry. I took it with my phone. It says Soft Shell Turtle. Please ask for assistants, 8.99/lb
It was a full size turtle. The Rubbermaid storage container is what he was being stored in. They were selling him per pound.  I kinda felt like it was animal cruelty. Most of the weight is in the shell and I'm not sure if there even is any meat in there.

Poor animal! I really hope no one buys him and they let him go. I doubt it but it would be nice!


A year ago, I met a group of moms who became great friends of mine, and helped me through what seemed the loneliest times of motherhood! I was stressed and needed an outlet. They were and still are my outlet! I remember when i first started going to play dates, i heard a lot of people talk about buying organic and how important it was. I never considered it really. In the past while I was at school, I had done some research on the hormones and antibiotics in chicken and beef but never the effect of food additives and chemicals on fresh fruit and vegetables. Once the topic came up I started looking into it slowly. What I have discovered in the past year has changed my way of buying food and where we eat.  I urge all of you to look into what your putting in your stomach and your families stomachs. I do understand that all foods have to pass safety tests and that a lot of the chemicals in food are used in small amounts, and will not harm us as much in small doses. But if you are eating a lot of processed and pre packaged foods, chances are you are getting many small doses of the same chemicals, which in turn can take a toll on your system. Our bodies are not designed to ingest chemicals and un natural additives and preservatives. This is most likely why the main cause of death is cancer or organ failure. So please please please take a few minutes a day to look at what you are buying.

A great book to buy and use as reference is:

"A consumer's dictionary of food additives"   by: Ruth Winter

The 7th edition is the best. I'm contemplating taking this to the grocery store next time I go.. without the kids of course. And check the labels of the food i purchase and look up the chemicals i am unfamiliar with. That way i can make a healthier decision. And if its not healthy, I can most likely find a substitute of that product.

No comments:

Post a Comment