Thursday, July 8, 2010

Day 8 - $0

The library books are taking over my brain! Today we stayed home and did our usual routine. So no money was spent :)

I borrowed a book about food additives from the library. It is a dictionary of lots of things that are added to foods that we have no clue about.  I decided to take my last box of mac n cheese and disect the ingredients today. The kids decided to be a handful so I only picked a few ingredients out. And BOY did i pick the right ones!

The box lists tons of ingredients.. i wont bore you by typing them all.. so here are the ones I decided to look up...

Sodium Tripolyphosphate:  Many people find STPP to add an unpleasant taste to food, particularly delicate seafood. The taste tends to be slightly sharp and soapy and is particularly detectable in mild-tasting foods. The increased water holding properties can also lead to a more diluted flavor in the food. If too much is ingested it can cause violent purging.... ..

Can cause violent purging??

The other ingredient was Yellow #5
Yellow #5 is a bright orange yellow powder. Those allergic to aspirin are often allergic to tartrazine (Why is this not listed on the label?????)  It is used in sweet corn, soft drinks, crackers etc... It is derived from coal tar. (YUCK!) British and European Union Parliament want to ban it because they believe it exacerbates hyperactivity in children.....

So in a simple box of mac n cheese we have a derivative of coal tar. YUM! My food pantry is getting bare.. so we are eating all of the things that Im planning on not buying again. This is a great experiment. Its amazing what types of meals you can come up with when you have to use only the food you have at home. I still have 3 weeks left and im not completely sure what we will be eating that week.. I guess we will eat the ice cream cake that has been in there forever. LOL.. I also have a bottle of wine that i am saving for some unknown occasion.

Todays picture is from the treat that i made for jerrys work for tomorrow.. I found a bag of marshmallows and a bag of chocolate cheerios.  So guess what i made??





                                                           YUM!





My list of things to do this month minus this items we completed.....

Fix the broken water pipe in the extra shower **

Clean out my cooking closet
clean my desk and keep it that way
Convert the upstairs BIG room to Jerry's Office **
Pick up all floor mats in kids room, wash and mop floor
Fix the flower beds outside **
Get items together for a garage sale
Paint small bathroom
Put shelves in closet for blanket storage**
Plant grass in flower bed** (this won't get done this month.. BOO!)

Ive gotten a lot done so far. I just asked my husband if he would help with a few chores this weekend and I got the puzzled look, like we never talked about any of this stuff! Men... grrr..

No comments:

Post a Comment